Wednesday, April 29, 2015

  Here I am, again!
  Some know what's going on with me but most don't, so I'll try to catch up on my going-on's of late.
   I was recently staying at a half-way house(called ARC) and left there on Monday.  I am back living in my storage unit and please don't worry, because it is all well.  It's actually much better than the half-way house.  I will be writing about my experience there, soon but I want to catch up on where I am now to get the writing juices flowing, again.
  I left the ARC house and had a troublesome lump, under the corner of my mouth.  It wasn't much at first but soon started looking like a pimple on steroids.
  It grew quickly and soon my entire left jaw was affected.  It was very painful!
  I went to the clinic on Monday and they couldn't see me until the next morning at 8:30.
  The next morning it was even bigger and more painful.  I hurried to the doctor, all the time expecting an alien to burst forth, through my flesh.
  None did.
  I spent about an hour there and learned that I have an MRSA infection.
  I was blaming the ARC house as the likely source and it may have been, but I have since learned that it can be transferred from animals, beach sand and can even live in salty ocean water for 2 days!
  I was given some anti-biotics and have been taking them, without fail.
  This morning I woke up and it was even worse.  I had to put off a job interview and the lady was very understanding about it and rescheduled me for Monday.  "Don't you dare come in here with a staph infection." she said.
  I went to the beach to comb the shores for sharks teeth.  It was a long ride and I could only stay for half an hour, I was feeling so poorly.
  I found no teeth.
  I was recently interviewed by a Minister from Virginia.  She had recorded the whole conversation to put on her radio show and use in her Ministry.  I recieved a message on my phone from her that she just uploaded it, to her website and sent me the link.  I listened to it, through my phone as I pedaled along.  I thought it odd not to be squeamish about hearing my own voice, as I always had been, especially considering what I was talking about.  Some of it was my dark past.
  I cut through the Greenway woods and only saw one alligator.  I didn't even feel good enough to take his picture.
  Back at the storage unit, the battery on my phone died with 20 minutes left of my interview.
  I read some of The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom.  Great book.
  I kept popping ibuprofen but it seemed to have lost it's affect.
  I checked some online advertisements for a mountain bike and saw no new ones.  My taxes are due, soon and I planned on spending about $300 for a good, used one.  I've been checking every day for the right one and have found nothing close to what I need.  I knew however, that God would lead me to the right one, at the perfect time.
  Several cars and trucks drove by and each time, I try to pretend that I'm doing some kind of work in my little cubicle.  I'm really only doing this to fool myself, because the full size mattress on the floor, is a dead giveaway that I am living there.
  Another vehicle came by and stopped 2 bay doors away.  I had never seen anyone in that one.  I stood in the doorway and pretended to be busy with something.
  Two men got out and the older, grey haired one said "Hi."
  The younger, muscle-bound one looked like his father but said nothing.  They both looked very depressed.
  I could hear them moving stuff into the hatchback for about fifteen minutes.
  The older man walked over, near me and asked "Do you know anyone who could use a couple of twin mattresses?
  "No but I can probably find someone to use them soon."
  "Well it doesn't matter, I'm going to leave this unit open and you can just take them if you want to."
  "Thank you."  I said.
  I had a sudden thought and it was out, before I thought how out of place it sounded.
  "If you know anyone that has a descent mountain bike for sale, I'm searching for one and about to get my taxes.  The one I have is heavy and really bothering my knees."
  "Well, I do have one actually.  I don't know much about it or if it's what you're looking for, it's my son's.
  "Do you know if it's aluminum?"  I hopefully asked.
  "I have no idea.  I can bring it by and you can see if it's something you're interested in.
  "Okay, great!"
  He walked over to the other man and they talked with low voices as I pretended to get back to my pretend project, in the cubicle.
  The son got into the car and the older gentleman came over and asked "Will you be here in an hour, I'll come back and show you the bike?"
  "Yes, I'll be here.  I'm about to charge my phone."
  "Okay, see you in an hour." he said and left with the same depressed cloud they had arrived with.
  I walked near the office and plugged my phone in.  The kind people knew that I have been living there and had come to love me.  Often asking me if I need anything.
  I tried to stay busy.  I ate.  I felt horrible and tired.  I wanted to nap but the man was coming back with the bike.  I suddenly wished I hadn't asked about the bike.  I thought for sure that it was just another Huffy or some other inferior brand.  I reminded myself:  "You just never know, Jeff.  It could be a real winner."
  About ten minutes before the hour was up, I finally succumbed to the sleepy headache and lay on my mattress, thinking I wouldn't sleep and hear the car coming, in time.
  Within ten minutes I heard a car coming and jumped up, in time to not be caught lying down.  It was the same car and it stopped, just past my roll-down door.
  He got out alone, this time and that depression cloud fogged out, with him.
  I briefly wondered if our paths crossed, not because I was to get something from him, but maybe he needed something.
  He went immediately to the hatchback and opened it as he said "I don't know if this is what your looking for but here it is."
  I stood in disbelief.  There before me was a sweet Cannondale.  It was aluminum and just what I was looking for, in every sense!
  I was speechless and maybe he thought I disapproved.
  "Wow!  It's a nice Cannondale."  I finally got some words out.
  "It is.  I don't know what it's worth to you."  he said as he took it out and handed it to me.
  "I don't know what it's worth, either but I'm sure at least $200."
  "No." he said.  "I don't think it's worth that much."
  I was sure it was.  The Rock shox alone are $300 new.
  "It belonged to my son." He said.
  "The man that was here with you, earlier?"
  "No, that was my oldest son.  This belonged to my youngest son.  He's in jail and about to go to prison, for murder."  He was now crying and choked to get the words out.  He actually said attempted murder but I didn't hear it right and found out later.
  I won't attempt to go word by word of our conversation.  Some things are just between 2 people and should stay that way.
  He invited me to his church on Sunday.  They were having a big breakfast, there.
  I told him I would be there and that I would bring the money, if I have it by then.
  He gave me a slip of paper with his name and number on it.
  He said again that he didn't know what it was worth.  "Just try it out and you can give me whatever you want to."
  "Sir, I can't thank you enough for this and although we just met I want you to know that I love you and I'll be praying for your son and your family.  I can't imagine what you're going through."
  He started crying again, as he got into his car.  Not the tears of a depressed man.  The depression cloud was lifted.  They were the cleansing tears of a man who shared his misery with a friend and was better because of it.  We were both better and in tears.
  I've heard it often said that when you are in a dark place, to do something for someone else.  He certainly did just that.
  I found a pay stub in the vacant locker and with the name on it, I was able to track down the details of what happened, finally realizing that it was not a murder but nearly so.  The link to the article is below.


  http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2015-04-27/story/domestic-trouble-leads-stabbing-mans-ex-wifes-boyfriend-outside

No comments:

Post a Comment