Saturday Nov. 29, 2014
Woke up with the threat of rain and after downing a couple of cold instant coffees, I decided not to fight what looked like and was forecast for the day. Instead of hitch-hiking I ran(or walked) some errands around town, including a side trip to Circle K for a coffee offered from a new friend, Rhonda.
I found the above shack in the woods and although it would have made great, temporary housing, it was filled knee high with trash!
I did some exploring in the woods, had my promised coffee and did some shopping at Save aLot and Dollar General.
I bought mostly food but I was hoping to clean up my appearance, in hopes that I would have better luck getting a ride, so I looked in both places for some good smelling spray and some type of dye for my beard, which I planned to either use or just shave the whole thing off, to get rid of the gray.
There appeared to be only black for color and I didn't think this would look very natural, with my blonde hair.
I left to return to my camp, weighed down with Monosodium Glutimate saturated food with a side of sodium nitrate infused, summer sausage. It seemed to be the only fare these two places vended. I also bought two gallons of water, one to drink and one for my planned make-over.
It was a heavy load in my small pack. It seemed more painful to carry than my large pack!
A couple miles found me back at camp. On the whole trip, it had only sprinkled, briefly.
The weather forecast for Sunday was to be rain but in the 60's! I decided it would be a great day for my beauty enhancement and took the time to set up a proper camp.
I set the tarp up, over a rope I strung between two sturdy trees and even whittled eight stakes to secure it to the ground. I unpacked and readied everything in it's place so that I didn't have to do it in the dark, after my planned walk to McDonald's for coffee and wifi. I wanted to catch up with the goings on, back home.
I took a good deal of time, eating the garbage, I had purchased.
Finishing about dark, as I had planned, I found it easy to slip from the woods, to the road without being seen and was soon seated at McDonald's, with the usual crew, who had become quite used to me, by now. Even some of the customers knew me by name!
I tried to write but I was soon feeling quite ill. Small noises were horribly loud and seemed to cause physical pain. I felt bad in ways I can't explain. I hadn't felt like this in a long time and I knew that my overindulgence with all the protein I amassed through Thanksgiving, was causing me to have a Porphyria attack. The only cure was a good sleep!
Instead of the sleep I needed, I put off writing and just perused what others were up to on facebook.
I exchanged personal messages with a few and enjoyed to on-goings of my son, Jeffrey.
Several cups of coffee, kept me going but alas, I finally caved in and after wringing out my laundry, rinsing it twice, re-wringing and draping over the tarp rope, I went to sleep around 10 p.m.
Talk to ya later!
Sunday Nov 30, 2014
This morning greeted me with clear blue sky and much waited for warmth! The forecast was for 40% rain, so I made my usual cold coffee and started getting ready for my anticipated makeover.
I checked the laundry and turned it over to finish drying, cut the bottom off a half gallon milk container, to use as my sink and put some water in it.
I found my scissors and started whacking my bushy face and alternated with the razor, until it was smooth. I didn't like the thought of it but once I started, there was no turning back! I planned to shave all but the goatee and decide whether or not to keep it, gray as it was.
My mind began to wander, as I did the deed.
I thought of some gray, bearded folk, I had seen in the past. Specifically the ones who chewed tobacco....
I remembered that the constant spitting required of them, resulted in it often running down their chin whiskers and it would leave permanent streaks of brown, which looked rather natural. I didn't have or use chewing tobacco but I certainly had regular tobacco! I decided when I got down to just the proposed goatee, I would mix a concoction of tobacco and water, to dye it! I remembered also, that I could use black walnut to make a dye but that it would be more trouble.
I kept chopping and shaving. I took a big swig of coffee and had another brilliant idea!
Who hasn't spilled coffee on something and had it permanently leave an un-washable stain?
It seemed crazy but most of my ideas start that way! It just may work and I thought I'd give it a try.
So, down to the part I wanted to save, I mixed a generous quantity of instant coffee, with just enough water to turn it into a thick paste and using my toothbrush, began applying it.
In lieu of finding some "Just for Men" hair dye the previous day, I had invented "Just for Idiots!"
I let it soak in for a good half an hour while I gloated on my brilliance, all the while struggling to keep it off of my new sweater.
Suddenly, with all the coffee I had consumed, I needed to find a tree! I failed to clean my hands before doing so and discovered it turned other things brown, also!
So now I had also invented "Just for Idiot Men" tanning solution. Coffee flavored......
Finally, I washed the mess off and it was indeed a couple of shades darker. I thought a few more morning applications would result in the desired, youthful look but I wasn't sure if I was willing to go through all that, again.
I then went to McDonald's and tried my attempt at started a blog of my adventures. I had trouble from the very beginning. I believe I was hacked! Fortunately I was able to save what I had managed to write. It seemed like it may be a very slow connection but what led me to think of the hacking, was that my anti-virus had been turned off and not by me.
I am going to post this, to share and see if I like it or not but I have to get my anti-virus up and working again.
love it keep them coming be safe love ya
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you've chosen to share your adventure. I enjoy reading your stories and you tell them very well. I can kinda visualize what you're saying. Keep it up and safe travels to you!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you decided to start writing about your travels! Can't wait to read more...your friend at Circle K :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat blog! Had me laughing right through. Can't wait for more!
ReplyDeletegreat writing Jeff , i love REAL life stories ....keep up the good work....
ReplyDelete